Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Monsoon Wedding

Saw this little gem on my husband's "to be watched" pile last night, and I remembered the name from several years back but I had never seen it, so we decided to give it a go.

I really liked this movie.  Monsoon Wedding is the story of a young Indian girl, Aditi, who is about to enter into an arranged marriage with a young Indian gentleman who lives in the United States; the film takes place during monsoon season in the days leading up to her wedding- a lavish, colorful affair that her father really cannot afford.  It's a mostly lighthearted story with some serious subplots - Aditi is not quite over her affair with a married man, while her cousin must face the uncle who abused her when she was young, and her younger brother struggles with needing his father's approval of his love of dance and desire to be a chef.  Ultimately, things fall into place in time for the wedding.

The family drama plays out against the backdrop of beautiful colors and music, and yes, some monsoons.  I'm never one to turn up my nose at an extended dance scene, and Monsoon Wedding definitely didn't disappoint in that respect!  It also made me want to re-do my wedding as an Indian affair.  All in all, this was a really enjoyable film.  It was a nice story with likable characters set against a pleasing sound and color palette.  9/10.

Note, 1/21/12: I am downgrading my initial rating to an 8.5/10.  I am typically quite sparing with very high ratings.  I still really enjoyed Monsoon Wedding but 9 just seems a hair too high upon further reflection.

No comments:

Post a Comment