Friday, June 29, 2012

Moonrise Kingdom


I have seen probably half of Wes Anderson's earlier movies (Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums, The Darjeeling Limited, Fantastic Mr. Fox).  Okay, maybe that's more like 2/3 - the only ones I appear to have missed were Bottle Rocket and The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou.  Okay, now that I've given more details than anyone cares to know about my personal history with Wes Anderson films, I'll say that I bring up the fact that I've seen a number of his earlier films only to say that I'm actually not a *huge* fan of his work.  I have mildly enjoyed most of what I've seen (and I've probably enjoyed Darjeeling and Mr. Fox the most), but I seem to always have the general feeling that the movies are trying too hard to be quirky.

Moonrise Kingdom takes place in the summer of 1965 - 12-year old Sam and Suzy (and Suzy's kitten, in what was, in my opinion, a show-stealing role) run away together on a small New England island.  All the while, they're pursued by a motley search party of adults - Suzy's parents, Sam's camp counselor, and the police chief, who may or may not be having an affair with Suzy's mom.

I liked Moonrise Kingdom but I didn't love it.  I thought it was a cute, nice movie.  The 12-year old stars did a really good job and were fun to watch.  And while I felt it had some of the trademark Wes Anderson trying-too-hard quirkiness, it seemed to have less than his other movies.  And in all seriousness, bonus points for basically the third biggest part being an adorable kitten.  6.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment