Tuesday, June 19, 2012

More slacking....

I don't know what my deal is lately, sorry!  Here's what I've seen lately:

Bernie















It's been a few weeks and already the details are fading, but Bernie is the true story of a small-town Texas funeral director (Jack Black) who befriends a wealthy elderly widow (Shirley MacLaine)....and then goes to great lengths to conceal her death after he somewhat accidentally kills her in a rage.  Interesting story, and Jack Black was perfect as Bernie.  Bonus points for his earnest radio singalong in his car.  7 out of 10.

The Dictator















Exactly what I expected - fairly raunchy, large parts stupid, and small parts surprisingly insightful at times.  The ending monologue legitimately made me think about my own country's governance.   5 out of 10.

We Need To Talk About Kevin




















Had this one on my radar for ages and I am glad I finally got to see it.  It stars Tilda Swinton as Eva, the mother of a troubled boy named Kevin, who basically loses it one day and shoots down a bunch of his classmates.  The film tells two stories simultaneously - that of Eva and Kevin's relationship starting from his birth, and that of Eva's coping with the many ramifications and repercussions of what her son did.  Really interesting and powerful movie which made me think a lot.  8.5 out of 10.

And now....off to see Prometheus - which, if you're lucky, I'll review some time before 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment