Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Magic Mike


I actually didn't know what Magic Mike was until a couple of days before I came out.  I had heard of the title, and for the life of me couldn't figure out why every girl I knew on Facebook was freaking out a bit.  In case you don't know, Magic Mike is NOT about a rapper.  To the contrary, it's about a struggling young man named Adam who befriends a male stripper (Channing Tatum) and is taken under his wing.

It was decent.  The first half was full of stripping and elaborate dances, and there were lots of laughs.  My husband claims there wasn't anything inherently funny about the stripping, but I'm sorry, show me a shirtless Matthew McConaughey in assless chaps, and I will laugh every single time.  Side note: do you know how hard it is to spell "McConaughey"?  I do now.

The second half of the movie, the tone seemed to change.  There were a few early references to the strip club's owner screwing the guys out of their fair share, and to drug use, but those two themes held center stage in the latter half of the movie, and everything felt a lot more serious.  I felt like they could have been built up more, but the way the movie played out, it seemed like they came out of nowhere.  Also, I felt like the clientele at the strip club were way too female and attractive, and the strippers were way too straight.

Overall, it was a fun movie with serious undertones that was not without its share of flaws.  Worth a watch if you're into assless chaps.  7 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment