Saturday, August 4, 2012

The Hunger Games


I kinda missed the boat on The Hunger Games when it came out months ago.  I hadn't read the books and I was mildly interested in seeing it, but not interested enough to battle the droves of people that were packing the theaters.  But last night we discovered that it was still playing at our local dollar theater so we figured what the heck.  By the way, "dollar theater" is a bit of a misnomer - Friday and Saturday night showings actually cost $2.50.  The horror!

Anyway, I am sure everyone knows this by now, but The Hunger Games takes place in a futuristic nation where each of the Capitol's 12 districts must send forth one teenage girl and boy ("tributes") to fight to the death in the televised hunger games.  From the moment of selection, 23 of the tributes will be dead in a matter of two weeks, while the lone winner will be lavished with riches.  Our heroine is Katniss, from depressed District 12, who volunteers herself as a tribute after her younger sister's name is drawn from the lottery system.  Along with Peeta, the male selection from District 12, Katniss is whisked off to the lavish Capitol for training and competition.

I knew The Hunger Games had gotten pretty good reviews, but I was honestly surprised at how much I liked it.  I was enrapt throughout the entire 2:20 runtime.  I loved Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss.  The acting was good and the story was entertaining, and all in all, I found it extremely enjoyable.  8 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment