Saturday, August 11, 2012

The Intouchables

 

French film about a wealthy quadriplegic (Philippe) who hires a young ex-con from the projects (Driss) to be his live-in caretaker.  Supposedly based on a true story, the men become close friends.  Philippe learns to enjoy life and love a bit more, and Driss matures and expands his cultural horizons.

I found The Intouchables very enjoyable to watch.  There was lots of irreverent humor, and I found it a joy to watch the friendship grow between Philippe and Driss.  I also loved the character of Driss and found him quite charming.  However, there was a subplot involving Driss's troubled family life, and I found this aspect of the film lacking.  It felt like the issues were never fully explained, so I didn't really care about it.  Also, I wanted to know how Philippe managed to stay so wealthy, what with not being able to work, yet requiring round-the-clock care from several live-in aides.  Not that it really mattered, but I was curious.

So - not perfect, but very enjoyable to watch nonetheless.  7.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment