Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Damsels in Distress

 
I really like all of director Whit Stillman's earlier films - Metropolitan, Barcelona, and The Last Days of Disco.  So I was excited for Damsels in Distress.  Damsels is the story of a foursome of college girls set upon bettering their campus by promoting hygiene and preventing suicide (by encouraging dance, no less).  What to do, then, when the group's leader, Violet, falls into a bit of a funk herself?   Start a new dance craze, of course!

Damsels just didn't really do it for me.  I felt like all of the characters were completely improbable and caricature-like.  Watching Damsels, I sort of felt like it was all based on some inside joke that I wasn't party to.  I just didn't get what it was trying to "be."  I guess I have a hard time enjoying a movie when there's no one I can relate to.

So, sorry Whit.  I still love your earlier movies!  5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment